Saturday, May 22, 2010

Honey Pie

Honey Pie
2643 S. Kinnickinnic Ave.
Milwaukee WI 53207
(414) 489-PIES (7437)

Bayview, Wisconsin

Monday - Friday 10am - around midnight
Saturday & Sunday 9am - 9pm

food service ends at 10:00pm nightly

Honey Pie is a eclectic, bo-ho kind of bar/cafe staffed by young, hipster waiters and waitresses. Nestled as it is in a non-descript Bayview neighborhood (that looks like the inner city Milwaukee neighborhood I grew up in the late 60's and early 70's - without the white flight and absentee landlords), it is easy to overlook - especially after dark. And, located where it is, to the south and to the east of anywhere a self-respecting black person has a right to be, it is hard to find.

I dined at Honey Pie months ago but I held off on a review because it has been my intention to return and sample more menu items. This led to that and I never made it back. And that is a pity because the two items I did sample were fabulous.

The PORK FRIES ($9) a giant pile of hand-cut fries topped with BBQ pork, pickled jalapeƱos and homemade cheese sauce plus bacon for good measure is exactly what the menu says. It is too much for one person to eat - heck, it is too much for two people to eat - but - MAN! - is it tasty.

The RICH BURGER ($9.50) is also as advertised: two quarter pound patties of beef ground together with bacon and pork and topped with carmelized onions, lettuce, tomato, crisp bacon strips, and cheddar topped with a sunny-side up egg. If your mouth isn't watering, it should be. This is one superior sammich.

I am dying to try other menu items such as the CHICKEN AND BISCUIT PIE ($12) a crock filled with a stew of chicken, bell peppers, potatoes, corn, carrots, celery and onions in a rich broth topped with a biscuit crust and THE FANCY MAC, a bowl of macaroni and cheese made with cheddar, mustard and Gruyere cheese sauce topped with breadcrumbs and - wait for it - bacon! When I do, I will tell you about it.

My rating for the Pork Fries and the Rich Burger on the Eating While Black scale:

So good you'll slap yo' mama!
It made my mouth happy!
Aiight!
Better than dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers